Thursday, April 28, 2011

Photo Opp!

Our latest assignment  was to take a photo demonstrating physics concepts for the AAPT Photo Contest. My photo will be entered into the contrived category. I took a picture of my self in a fish tank. The two sides of the tank reflect my image from different angles, which results in the appearance of two virtual images produced. This is because light obeys the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. After the light enter the first glass side, it is refracted, and the angle is changed a bit, which results in a slightly differently positioned image on the second side. Flat mirrors produce an image that is upright, the same size, and virtual. The fish tank is a very smooth and produced a specular reflection. A specular reflection is clear and easy to see. The swirls in the picture are from the wall behind the fish tank. I am very proud of my picture in the fact that I was able to produce a picture that reveals several physics concepts.



No comments:

Post a Comment