Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Using up lots of Energy

Our latest unit is Energy. We have learned how energy is transformed in different processes. We learned how to make energy flow diagrams, identify the system, and calculate work. We also learned how to calculate power, and identifying how the energy is transformed in each problem. We learned how to calculate kinetic energy, potential energy, elastic potential energy, and mechanical energy. For a reflection on this unit, we chose an application and had to explain the system, the energy stored, and the energy transformations. I chose cheerleading basket tosses and used Prezi. In my example, air resistance is negligible.








1. www.freewebs.com
2. www.sharonanndance.co.uk
3. www3.wallacestate.edu

5 comments:

  1. The over all post was great. I just don't think that when the guys catch the girls, that it is elastic energy, I believe that that is work being done to stop the kinetic energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it is elastic because of how their arms move. They move the "cradle" downward after the flyer is caught similar to how a trampoline bends in when you jump on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative application, nice Prezi with great graphics!
    I am afraid that ia gree with Will about the energy. The elastic potential energy is usually stored in elastic materials like rubber bands, springs, bungee cords and trampolines. Our muscles have some degree of elasticity but they are not elastic materials with a "spring constant".

    What you observe is a force being applied through a distance. This is a similar situation of 'follow-through' when catching a softball or throwing an egg into a sheet.

    Please review your system as you are missing an essential element. Finally, you need to specify what to do with respect to air resistance.

    Looking forward to reading your final posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand why it is not elastic now. I also realized I forgot the earth in my system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my first paragraph I inserted that in this example air resistance is negligible.

    ReplyDelete